Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Year, New Goals

There is a new calendar hanging on my office wall which can only mean one thing: It's time to set goals for 2008.

For the past several years, I've set aside time on January 1 to set my goals for the year. This year was no exception. I curled up on the couch with the dogs, a cup of tea and my notebook and prepared to outline all of the things I wanted to accomplish over the next 12 months.

Normally, I am pretty private about my goals: I tell the hos what I hope to accomplish work-wise, I talk to my financial advisor about all money-related goals and my pack at the park knows all about my goals to have Molly trained as a therapy dog. Otherwise, I keep my goals hidden away in a notebook for my eyes only. This year, I'm changing that.

I've decided to post my goals online. It's my hope that putting them out there for the world to see will help me be accountable. Here's the list:

Professional Goals
* Have proposal for hiking guidebook accepted by publisher
* Submit non-fiction book proposal
* Submit anthology proposal
* Teach at least two classes
* Focus on features, not FOBs
* Attend two conferences
* Write more articles on dogs and eco-friendly topics
* Travel less

Personal Goals
* At least one international trip
* Take two creative classes
* Participate in Hike for the Cure
* Earn the title of "World's Best Auntie"

There are a few other goals I'm working toward this year but I'm not willing to send them out into cyberspace (a girl has to have a few secrets).

Go ahead, ask me how I'm doing. And, if I'm falling behind, feel free to kick me in the behind to get me going. I need all the help I can get.

Other things I'm looking forward to in 2008:

*The arrival of my neice or nephew in May
*A trip to the Florida Keys with KT
*E, kayaking partner and dog-sitter extraordinare relocating to CLT
*A trip to Portland
*ASJA (aka 'the hos reunited') in April

Now it's your turn: What are your goals for the New Year?

No comments: