Thursday, September 11, 2008

Back in Business

Drum roll, please: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Careers is finished. It felt so good to hit "send" on the manuscript. The book required a lot of research and writing in a short period of time but I'm pleased with how it turned out (and initial comments from the editors at Alpha echo that feeling). 

Less than 24 hours after I sent the final half of the book, I was on the road for a long weekend getaway with some girlfriends. We spent four days on St. Simons Island, soaking in the sun, reading and making regular pilgrimages to the ice cream shop. It was a much-needed break after writing non-stop for several months. Now, I'm back home and back at work.

I missed freelancing.

I've been researching article ideas, sending queries and reconnecting with editors and it feels so good. The thrill of the chase is the part of my  job that I love most. For me, there is nothing more gratifying than stumbling upon the perfect story idea, knowing exactly which editor might be interested and getting an assignment. It's not always that easy. Sometimes I think I have a great idea and I'm certain the editor will jump on the chance to assign it and then I get a rejection. So, it's back to the drawing board.

I jotted down all of my article ideas in a notebook while I was writing The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Careers so I have a huge list of inspiration to draw from. I'm also working from another list titled Book Promotion Ideas. In just a few short months, The Green Year will be hitting store shelves and it's time for me to start promoting it. Right now, the plan includes bookstore signings, book reviews, published excerpts and even a contest. Stay tuned for details. (Now that I'm not scrambling to finish a 232-page manuscript, I should have more time to update).

No comments: