Sunday, June 22, 2008

Working on the Weekend

It's a sunny Sunday afternoon in the South and I'm working. I peer out the window every so often and daydream about all of the things I could be doing: hiking with the dogs, sitting on a patio sipping iced tea with friends, reading a good book under a tree at the park. Instead, I'm hunched over my computer, writing furiously.

The first chapter of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Careers is due tomorrow. The deadlines for this book are TIGHT and I'm scrambling to finish writing. 

The first chapter is due long before the rest of the manuscript so the editor and publisher can review it to make sure I'm on the right track. Their comments on this chapter will help shape the rest of the book. I want the chapter to be as polished as possible but I also recognize that it will probably change a lot from the first draft to the chapter that appears in the published book.

Next weekend, I'll still be working on the book. The first chapter will be finished and submitted but there are 18 others to go (plus a glossary and an appendix). Still, I'm hoping to find some time to do a few loads of laundry, go to the supermarket and eat a healthy dinner (followed by a decadent dessert. After all,  a girl needs a reward for working all weekend). 

No comments: