Saturday, December 8, 2007

All Work and No Play

February 01, 2005, 5:08 p.m.
The desire to update my website often strikes in the midst of deadline panic: The moment I realize that I have a lot of work and not a lot of time is often the same moment I feel an insatiable need to dash off a quick note in my journal.
Today is no different.
I have 29 deadlines this month. This means two things: I should be researching, interviewing and writing, not typing a journal entry; and I need a holiday. Obviously – and for very different reasons – neither is happening.
It appears that I will be consumed with work this month. My days will be spent writing articles on building custom homes, touring remodeled homes, finding investment advice, a real estate agent, and a florist and discovering the latest trends in outdoor living.
I am also in the midst of completing travel articles from my holiday journey to Hong Kong where J and I had a grand time shopping at street markets, eating dim sum and sipping high tea, and watching locals practice tai chi and kung fu in the park.
I am also taking another class toward my graduate degree. The class, Writing and the Self, involves a lot of reading and even more writing. Needless to say, it is challenging to sign my name at the bottom of a credit card slip during my off hours.
In the midst of work and school, I am actually taking time out for myself. I signed up for a yoga class, had tea with a friend, and went to see a play on the weekend. A very special friend reminded me that I needed to recharge my batteries and redefine my idea of success if I wanted to be happy and healthy (thanks Pookie).
Once the last deadline has been met, I am going to take a bit of time off. The beginning of March seems like the perfect time to get a massage, go hiking, enjoy brunch with friends, and take a road trip.

No comments: