Saturday, December 8, 2007

Editors: They Do a Story Good

June 09, 2005, 4:39 p.m.
Most of the time I do not see the final edited version of an article until the magazine hits newsstands and often the version that appears in print is quite similar to the article that I submitted to the editor weeks (and sometimes months) before. It is definitely easier to let the editor take care of the edits but I am coming to realize that I learn a lot more when I have the opportunity to work with the editor to make my writing better.
Last month I submitted an article to the editor of a national business publication. A few days later she sent me a detailed e-mail outlining the revisions she wanted me to make. Not only did she provide specific examples of how I could make things better, she also explained why she felt the changes were necessary.
I spent a few hours making the changes and handed in the revised article later in the week. Not only was the editor happy with the revisions, she took the time to drop me a note offering kudos for a job well done.
Earlier this week I saw the galley and realized how much stronger the revisions made the article. Even though it took additional time for me to make the changes, I was grateful for the chance to make my writing better.
I churn out so many articles every month that it is easy to forget that there are different – and often better – ways of doing things. Having an editor who is willing to provide straightforward feedback to encourage you to make your writing better (and then takes the time to let you know you did a good job) is priceless.
In other news, I attended a networking event earlier this week and met an amazing group of female business owners. I spent a lot of time talking myself out of going (one of the occupational hazards of working from home is the tendency to turn into a bit of a hermit) but I ended up having a blast. Not only was it really inspiring to hear about other women-owned businesses, I had several people express interest in hiring me to work on writing projects. Best of all, my competitiveness paid off when I won a door prize for meeting the most women at the event.
Work has been exceptionally busy for the past month. I am doing some PR projects, coaching a new writer and preparing to teach a class later this month. I am also writing articles on topics ranging from surprising headache triggers and trends in home wiring to the demand for vacation homes and a profile of a new construction project.
On the home front, J and I are in the process of landscaping the backyard (which means we are talking a lot about what we hope to accomplish but have not yet put our shovels in the soil) and spending a great deal of time hunting for the perfect patio furniture. We are heading to Jamaica next month to celebrate our anniversary (for those keeping count, we will be married for 5 years in August)! Before I can enjoy the surf and the sand, I have a few more articles to write.

No comments: