Saturday, December 8, 2007

A Brief Update

May 25, 2006, 9:18 a.m.
The past month has been one of the busiest I’ve had in a while. Here are the highlights:
I went to the ASJA conference in New York last month and spent three incredible days learning about the business of writing, connecting with amazing women writers and meeting editors whose publications I adore. This is the third year that I’ve been at the conference and it was definitely the most valuable (and the most fun). I walked away feeling really inspired and excited about my work.
Things have been really busy on the writing front. I’ve spent a lot of time driving all over town meeting sources and racked up a huge long distance bill doing interviews with experts across the country. The result: my name will be appearing in publications like the Portland Tribune, Arthritis Today, Modern Bride, Better Nutrition, Women’s Health and Fitness, Delicious Living and Porthole Cruise in the coming months.
I am ramping up the teaching/coaching aspect of my business. I taught a goal setting class for writers at Portland State University last weekend that was well attended and I have taken on a few students for one-on-one coaching.
My parents were in Portland last week spending to spend time with J and I. The last time they made the cross-country trek was four years ago. We hit all of the Portland highlights: the farmers market, the Oregon Coast, Saturday Market, the waterfront. We also hit the mall several times because my parents, who pay 15 percent tax on everything they buy in Ontario, can’t believe that Oregon has no sales tax.
J and I are in the midst of planning our trip to Japan. We like to travel without too much of an itinerary but we are trying to figure out which highlights to hit since we’ll only be there for 10 days. We’ve decided on Tokyo and Kyoto but the rest is up for negotiation. Any travel tips? I’d love some suggestions for must-see places.
Right now I have to put down the guidebook and get back to work. I have to churn out a few more articles so that I can pay for our trip.

No comments: