Saturday, December 8, 2007

Travel Bug

November 16, 2004, 3:23 p.m.
Last month I believed that the biggest perk of my job was working from home in my pajamas. This month, I am here to tell you that there exists an even bigger thrill in my freelancing life: Working poolside in a tropical country.
Earlier this month I had the opportunity to travel to a remote town in Mexico to research a feature for a bridal magazine. I spent six days feasting on authentic Mexican food, hiking and canoeing through the pristine countryside, horseback riding on the beach, and frolicking in the ocean.
In the midst of the fun, I scribbled a few notes, tossed around ideas for story angles, and conducted a few interviews – but I did it in my bathing suit!
I wandered around the resort sipping coconut milk, eating cheese, and telling anyone who would listen, “this is the best job in the world.”
The only thing better than spending my days in the sun, was spending it with the other journalists on the trip: We had a fantastic time dishing on everything from writing to…well, things I promised I would never repeat. Suffice to say, I made a few new friends.
For now, I am back to working from home in my pajamas. I have a great tan and great stories and a newfound determination to increase my travel writing efforts.
My new dream: to be typing journal entries from an ashram in India, a Jeep in Africa, or poolside in Hawaii. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments: