Saturday, December 8, 2007

Finding Balance

March 09, 2004, 9:48 a.m.
Sitting in front of the computer trying to update my journal gives me a new appreciation for what it must be like to have to write an editor’s letter: Anything I write should be witty, informative and brief – just enough to get the reader interested and keep them coming back. It’s a tall order, which is why I don’t update more often.

Lately things have been…well, they’ve been a little difficult as far as writing is concerned. I have had a few bad days – in the span of a single day I discovered that I writer I feel an intense dislike toward landed a contract with a major magazine, an editor accused me of being unethical (he later admitted it was a huge misunderstanding and apologized profusely) and my book proposal was rejected – and several good days.

While I have never pretended that writing is always easy or fun, I try not to focus too heavily on what I think are the negative aspects of the job (at least not in my online journal). And, since I try to keep my journal entries writing-related, I have opted not to post all of the good, the bad, and the ugly experiences that have cropped up this year.

A brief update on the writing life: I have been writing articles, sending out queries, making follow up calls, logging rejections, rejoicing in acceptances, making plans to attend the ASJA Conference in New York City in April, and modifying my book proposal in anticipation of sending out to publishers.

Outside of office hours, I have been indulging my creativity by taking a hip hop dance class, learning to knit a felted tote bag, planning a summer backpacking trip, and reading about the intricacies of installing ceramic tile for an upcoming home improvement project.

I have learned that feeling fulfilled and being successful is all about balance. So, the next time I feel like hiding under the covers and turning the ringer off on the phone, I’ll indulge myself with a nap and then spend the rest of the day eating cake and practicing my hip hop moves.

No comments: