Saturday, December 8, 2007

Seeking Long-Term Relationship

August 01, 2004, 9:07 p.m.
Over the past few years I have had a lot of relationships with different editors: Some have turned into lasting working relationships and others were not a good fit and we have both moved on. I have created several long-term relationships with editors who have continued to work with me through dozens of articles, changes in format, and countless edits. I have also worked with a few editors who have even kept me in their rolodex after switching publications.

I have also had several one-assignment stands – I pick up the assignment, do my best work, turn it in and wait for approval, only to receive a paycheck and never hear from them again.

Lately I have been directing my efforts at forming long-term relationships with editors. I have targeted a handful of publications that I really want to write for and I am working on researching story ideas and writing queries targeted to those publications. I am also nurturing the relationships I have with editors because I know how important it is to never take an editor or an assignment for granted.

But, since I never have been a girl to turn down a good piece of work, I have no problems with the occasional one-assignment stand. But at this point in my life, I am ready to settle down: If you are an editor in search of a talented writer for an ongoing relationship, drop me a line.

No comments: