Saturday, December 8, 2007

At Long Last...Another Entry

April 04, 2005, 1:30 p.m.
I have a pile of assignments to complete, taxes to file, bills to pay and queries to write but I decided in the midst of the chaos that now would be a great time to update my journal.
The past few months have been incredibly busy. In addition to writing articles on subjects as varied as business travel in Asia and a turtle rescue program in Mexico, I have worked on several special section projects including the Tour of Remodeled Homes in the Portland Tribune and the Bridal Guide for the Beaverton Valley Times.
Earlier this year I caught the teaching bug. In February I taught a class on the basics of freelance writing that was well-received and I am in the midst of planning other classes including a query writing workshop, a class on journaling for weight loss and an introduction to publishing a newspaper.
I am leaving for New York next week to attend the annual ASJA Conference. I went last year and found the information incredibly valuable. I am meeting with several editors while I am in the Big Apple; it is a good chance to catch up with those I have not seen in a while and to finally meet those that I have been exchanging e-mails with for months.
My goal is to figure out the subway system in the hopes of making it to all of my meetings on time. Once I have that covered all I have to worry about is pulling off a 14-hour day in high heels and smuggling enough Coke into the conference to keep me fueled for the entire day (the conference hotel only serves Pepsi).
I am staying with a friend in NY which will inevitably mean a few very late nights. I am already looking forward to hanging out on the roof of his building drinking hot chocolate and marveling at how incredibly busy the city is no matter what time of day it is. There is something electrifying about NY and although I could never see myself living there, I do look forward to my yearly visits.
Before I can leave I have to write nine articles on various topics including
* Trends in interior paint colors
* Summer roof repairs
* Content for a special section on shopping
* Increasing water intake
* Unusual fruits
Truth be told, I really want to curl up under the covers, sip hot tea and read a good book.
I promise to post pictures and details of my trip to NY when I return.

No comments: