Saturday, December 8, 2007

Patience Pays Off

December 21, 2004, 3:02 p.m.
I am not a very patient person: I hate standing in line, being stuck in traffic, and slow service. Most of the time, I cope by avoiding any situation that involves waiting: I avoid leaving the house during rush hour, I buy stamps at the ATM and mail packages from home, and I never – ever – go to the grocery store.
But working from home does not exclude me from playing the waiting game: I wait for checks. I wait for sources to return my calls. I wait for the right words to make their way onto the page. I wait for editors to respond to my queries.
Earlier this month I was reminded that patience is, in fact, a virtue.
This spring I sent queries to two publications I really want to work with. I got two very prompt responses from the editors; the first indicated he was interested in my pitch, but was moving into another (non-editorial) position in the publication and promised to pass my idea along to the new editor. The second editor expressed interest in the idea, but said she was not assigning any new content and promised to keep my idea on file.
Several weeks passed: I followed up with both editors and both indicated a continued interest in the queries, but could not commit to assignments. Then, two weeks ago, both editors offered me the assignments!
The experience reminded me not to give up on queries that have been languishing for a while: Editors do hang on to good queries and often go through their files looking for writers with great ideas – I just have to learn to wait.
J and I are departing for Hong Kong tomorrow morning. We are going to spend a week touring out-of-the-way markets, strolling along city streets, exploring secluded hiking trails, and eating everything in sight.
The next time I sit at my desk, it will be 2005. I am in the process of setting goals for next year and I am excited about the prospect of turning the page to start a new year. My current goal is to have a wonderful journey and enjoy the break.
Happy holidays!

No comments: