Saturday, December 8, 2007

My Gratitude Journal

February 10, 2006, 2:38 p.m.
I have to admit that I have been whining a bit over the past few weeks about my workload and the assignments that I have been working on.
Truth be told, I am working on a few pieces I am really excited about and writing for editors who I really like but I have had this nagging feeling that something is missing. My response has been to covet the assignments that other writers are getting and to crave bigger and better things instead of feeling grateful for the excellent work that I have.
A wise friend suggested that I stop whining and make a list of all of the good things that I have in my life (thanks RLR). I thought I would post the list online. Perhaps it will inspire you to think about the good things in your life or perhaps you will use it as ammunition the next time I am whining.
• I was offered an assignment by a magazine I that has been on my target list for the past year
• An editor from a Canadian publication that I love asked me to write a series of quizzes for their health department
• I was assigned an article on a cool topic that I am excited to write about
• I attended a workshop that focused on improving my writing and covered important topics for business writers. I got to spend time with a great friend and the workshop was free!
• In the midst of a querying dry spell, I came up with several ideas that I think have enormous potential (now all I have to do is find time to do some research and write the queries)
• This spring I will be teaching a class on a topic that I am passionate about: Goal setting for writers. It will be held at PSU and I will post more details as they are available
There have also been several non-writing-related things that have happened over the past few weeks that I am grateful for:
• Molly, my darling dachshund, had surgery to remove a lump in her mouth and the biopsy came back negative.
• My mom has been given a clean bill of health after spending the better part of the past three months recovering from joint replacement surgery and a broken foot.
• It has not rained for a solid week. This is huge news in Oregon where we had 230 percent of our normal January rainfall within the first week of the year. The onset of sunny weather has allowed me to halt construction on the ark and stop dressing Molly up in a life jacket and water wings just to go outside.
• I have volunteered to be on the auction committee for the Ronald McDonald Houses of Oregon and Southwest Washington which has connected me with an amazing group of women and given me an excellent excuse to get dressed and do some good in the world.
• All of my pregnant friends (and there are a lot of them) are feeling great and carrying healthy babies.
What are you grateful for?

No comments: