Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Power of Procrastination

December 02, 2004, 6:52 p.m.
There are days when the lure of procrastination is so strong that I simply cannot resist. Today was one of those days. I have several deadlines in the next week, including two articles and a 5,000 word paper for my class that are due tomorrow, but I managed to find time to do the dishes, balance the checkbook, dance to holiday music, and send silly instant messages to one of my oldest friends.
Now it is the end of the day and the articles are not finished, the paper is 1,000 words too short, and I am too tired to start the second article that is due in less than 24 hours (yet, I managed to find time to update my journal).
The past few weeks have consisted of trying to secure assignments, accommodations, and assistance from the tourist board for an upcoming trip to Hong Kong. In the midst of eating dim sum, trying kung fu, and shopping for designer knockoffs, I am going to be racing around the city researching attractions, conducting interviews, and scribbling notes.
Putting the pieces of this trip together has been exhausting. I rarely travel with an itinerary, but since we are spending the entire trip in the same area, I was hoping to make traveling less stressful by reserving accommodations and scheduling interviews ahead of time.
I think this is a smart idea, but I am having trouble getting anyone to cooperate. The tourist board and PR firms have been slow to come through with assistance and I am working with editors who are still mulling over the details of my assignments. I am trying to go with the flow and tell myself that it will all come together eventually, but as the days pass I am starting to worry that I will be scrambling to find a hotel the night before we leave.
In the midst of checking my e-mail every 30 seconds for travel details, I am up to my usual tricks: Working on articles, writing queries, sending follow-up e-mails, and chasing down overdue payments (it is truly an endless process).
In the coming weeks I am going to take a break from writing to spend time with friends, drink hot chocolate in front of the fire, start reading the books that have been collecting dust on my shelves, and think about my goals for the upcoming year.
Right now I have to focus on finishing my work (which really means I am going to spend the next few hours doing the laundry, scrubbing the bathrooms, and alphabetizing my books, before falling into bed exhausted).

No comments: