Saturday, December 8, 2007

My Holiday Wish

December 05, 2003, 2:20 p.m.
We haven’t even put up our Christmas tree yet, and I’m already worrying about the New Year. The short-term contract I had with the local paper has ended, leaving a gap in my schedule that I am attempting to fill with assignments.

I’m focusing a lot of my efforts on sending out queries, pitching class ideas and making cold calls – basically attempting to set myself up for success in the New Year. I’ve been so busy with assignments lately, I’d forgotten how much effort it takes to sell myself. So far, it seems to be working: I’ve had some fairly positive responses from editors when I’ve called/e-mailed to follow-up on queries and a blind pitch I sent to an editor may result in a few assignments.

I’m also really busy with other projects: I’ve done a bit of painting (walls, not portraits), sewn the most beautiful curtains for our bedroom, baked dozens of cookies, handmade our holiday cards and (almost) finished our shopping.

J and I ‘adopted’ a family through a local non-profit organization – a young mother who is pregnant with her first baby. The families in the program are considered low-income and at-risk and their wish lists often include really basic items like food. We have so much, and it’s so important to us to share our good fortune with others. So, this weekend we’re going to fill a shopping cart with food, diapers, warm clothing and toys to help this mom-to-be have a merry Christmas.

Though we’ve always been generous with our time and money, this year helping others is much more important to me than it has been in the past. J was out of work for 5 months this year, and though we cut back on special treats for ourselves, we never worried about paying our mortgage, getting behind on our bills or having enough food to eat.

There are so many others who are not that fortunate. I can’t help everyone, but by doing what I can – through volunteer work, donations and activism – I can make a difference in a few lives.

Christmas is a time of such greed and consumerism. Too many people are too busy shopping themselves into debt, purchasing gizmos and gadgets they don’t need, and doing little to help those who are in need. If I could ask each of you for one gift this Christmas, I would ask you to put away your credit cards and spend some time volunteering for a local non-profit organization. Whether you have a few hours to serve a meal at the local soup kitchen or want to make a regular commitment to a special charity, it takes so little to make a big difference.

J and I have asked our families and friends to make donations to charity in lieu of giving us presents this year. We know that on Christmas morning we will have played some part in making a child believe in Santa, cheering an elderly person or helping to feed animals at the Humane Society. For us, there is no greater gift.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: