Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tales from NYC

May 21, 2004, 7:00 p.m.
An update on my trip to NYC: It has been almost a month since I endured a cross-country trip, a 12-hour day in heels, and a conference full of strangers. Despite late nights, early mornings and several days without my requisite diet Coke, I managed quite well. I introduced myself to strangers, made small talk, exchanged business cards and made some excellent contacts.

While I was in the Big Apple, I got to spend four days with my second favorite boy in the entire world who let me crash in his apartment and braved a hangover to go out in search of bagels. And, on Saturday morning when I was scared and nervous, he knew exactly what to say.

The conference was a whirlwind of speakers and writers and a flurry of note-taking, and between sessions I networked my little heart out.

I celebrated my success with a few too many margaritas on Saturday night (hence the need for early morning bagels on Sunday) and came home with the flu. But it was worth it.

Work has been exceptionally busy – I had 10 deadlines the week I came home – but I have made time to follow up with several editors I met at the conference. I have also had coffee with a writer I met in NYC, who happens to live in Portland.

I went to another networking event this week where I made small talk, looked completely at home in a pair of heels and managed to balance a plate of crudités and carry on a conversation. For a girl who sits at her desk all day wearing sweatpants and chomping on melba toast, it was a pretty big accomplishment.

In other news: I am working on several articles, submitting queries and attempting to follow-up on queries that have been languishing in the slush pile for far too long. I am also trying really hard to remember to update my website. My sister (who is also my most loyal reader) explained that it is very disappointing for my fans to be checking my site day after day only to discover there is nothing new to read.

So, this one is for you, Litts. Maybe if you called a bit more often, you wouldn’t need to read about my life online.

No comments: