Saturday, December 8, 2007

Giving Thanks

November 22, 2005, 1:31 p.m.
Crazy.
That is the only word that aptly describes my life over the past month. In the midst of writing articles on everything from eBay to protein powders, I have been attempting to manage a host of non-work tasks that included making two trips to Toronto (once for my annual pilgrimage home and again to be with my mom during knee replacement surgery) and getting ready for the holidays.
During my second trip to Toronto I spent some time with one of my favorite boys in the world (who also happens to be one of the smartest and sweetest men I know). It was so great to laugh about all of the silly things we did as kids and to realize that, despite getting older, we have never really grown up. Thanks Pookie!
Spending time at home also reminded me of all of the good things in my life. I am strong and healthy, I am surrounded by loving and supportive people and I spend my days doing a job that I love. It made me realize how important it is to count my blessings instead of focusing on the negatives.
Since it is Thanksgiving (confession: I still celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving, which is in October but now seems like a good time) I have come up with a list of the things I am thankful for:
J: The boy who always makes me laugh. He is sweet and kind and knows exactly when I need hot chocolate and a hug or a Diet Coke and time alone. It is not always easy living with a girl who is as temperamental/erratic/neurotic/picky as I am but he does it with panache.
Science: My mom, who could barely walk after suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years, has a set of new knees that have given her the freedom to do the things she loves without pain.
Technology: I was able to fly home to be with my family while my mom was in the hospital and I still managed to call J several times a day, check my e-mail and submit a few assignments.
Friends: I am so fortunate to have a group of friends that I adore like SP/TP, the couple who are always up for a game of cards; R, the girl who never tires of listening to me complain; P, who is always willing to meet me for a doughnut in the middle of the afternoon; A, the boy who always makes time to send silly instant messages.
Great Editors: The ones who respond to queries, offer specifics about the assignment and are clear about revisions. I am especially grateful to the editors who were willing to adjust deadlines and speed up revisions to accommodate my travel schedule.
Molly: My pretty little puppy reminds me to take breaks during the day to have a little fun. I love watching her curl up in the sun and spy on the neighbors from the bedroom window. Perhaps I am most grateful that she is potty trained and has learned to be polite (oh, and I am also thankful that she was not seriously harmed when she decided to eat one of our plants last week)!
Time Off: It has been a hectic year but it is almost over. In just a few days I will turn off my computer and step away from my desk until the New Year. It feels a little surreal to be signing off in November but, truth be told, I am ready for a break. J and I are going to spend December backpacking through South America. Our plan is to see as much of Ecuador and Peru as possible and to check out Bolivia if we have time. I am looking forward to experiencing other cultures, meeting new people, sleeping in late, trying new foods, shopping until I drop and having J all to myself for an entire month.
Happy Holidays!

No comments: