Saturday, December 8, 2007

Going with the Flow

September 15, 2006, 4:20 p.m.
I meant to start updating more often but the last month has passed in a flash.
Things have slowed down a bit on the writing front which has given me more time to concentrate on sending out queries. It’s hard to come up with ideas when I am staring at the computer screen for hours on end. I need to be out, engaging with people, staring off into space or walking the dogs in order to come up with new ideas (or the ever-popular fresh takes on old ideas).
I spent a week on a press trip in Northern Michigan. I went hiking and kayaking and toured several museums and small towns. It was a whirlwind tour that had me on the go from morning until night but it helped me generate a lot of new ideas. I have been working on queries since I got home earlier this week.
I am also spending a lot of time writing content for my new website. I designed the original site four years ago and it was in desperate need of a facelift. I am really excited about updating the site so it is a better reflection of my work and who I am as a writer.
I’ve gotten a lot of bad news this month: two of the magazines that I wrote for on a regular basis have ceased publication and another regular market has changed its format which will result in significantly less work for me.
It was really hard to adjust to the news at first, especially because it has such a huge impact on my bottom line. I threw a long pity party and then realized that while it’s sad to say goodbye to markets I loved (and editors I loved more) it is the push I needed to let go of some of those regular clients to start pursuing new markets.
It’s very easy to fall into the trap of becoming too comfortable as a freelancer, especially when editors are coming to you with work. The time I was spending on these projects prevented me from going after some of the markets I really wanted to write for because I didn’t have time to research and write queries.
I know there is going to be some lag time before I pick up new work to replace the lost income but I’m already excited about some of the new markets I’ve found. One of the most important things I’ve learned in this business is that you have to be prepared to roll with the punches.

No comments: